Saturday, April 18, 2009

There Are Those Who Would Call It Corny, But I Call It...


...my favorite book. I found a copy of The Rosary in my tiny high school's tiny library. I loved it. I found it again years later in my huge college's huge library. I checked it out expecting nothing really, and loved it again. I got it through interlibrary loan a few years later after my second child was born... still loved it. Then ebay rode to my rescue and helped me get the copy I have today, which I pull off the bookshelf at least once a year because it is still my favorite after all this time and all those readings.

I have been thinking of it because of the buzz the last few days over a lady from a small village in Scotland with a wonderful voice. The Rosary is about a plain Jane (literally, her name is Jane), loved by all the guys as one of the guys, who gets to know a handsome, younger man who is an artist and is well known as a great admirer of all things beautiful. They are nothing more than chums until one night when Jane sings The Rosary at a house party given by her aunt and the artist hears her glorious voice and glimpses the beauty of her soul. And that is just the beginning because it is a melodrama after all and the road to true love is never allowed to run smooth. All right, I will admit that it IS corny, but I'm willing to pick a few kernels from my teeth...



I finished my bookmark! This is the first time I have tatted with two shuttles. It was fun! The pattern is spiral bookmark by Rita Weiss. She adapted it from edging #1 in Tatting Doilies & Edgings, Dover Press. I think it turned out well, but I realize I need to learn to hide my beginning and ending threads properly. My tassel looks clumsy because I was trying to hide them with it. So that will be my next goal.

The tatting blogs I enjoy reading always mention a challenge to tat 25 different motifs in a year. I imagine if I really did it, I would be a pretty good tatter at the end of the year. I'm not ready for the official challenge, I'm just going to keep track and see how many things I make (it may be two, who knows). So the spiral bookmark is #1.

2 comments:

Fox said...

This is so pretty in the pink and white. I have the book. I will tat the bookmark......sometime!!!

sewmuchfun4 said...

Thank you! It was fun to make.
Ann