Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Forget Papa...Mama's Got a Brand New Bag!


Thank goodness the second time was the charm, because I was going to chuck it in if it didn't work this time! But it turned out beautifully if I do say so myself and I DO!!!

Amazingly I had the forethought to make a pattern out of freezer paper of the circles I used so I will be able to make another bag easily when this one wears out or I get tired of the fabric. But I LOVE this fabric so it will probably be thread bare when I'm done with it. So yes, I have a pattern now, but there is a very real possibility it will get lost if it isn't already. With that in mind, here are the dimensions:

2 Large Circles - 17 inches diameter (use the same or contrasting fabric)
2 Small Circles - 12 inches diameter (use the same or contrasting fabric)
1 Fusible Fleece Circle - 5 inches diameter



I tweeked the bag construction also. NO BIAS TAPE THIS TIME!!!!

Here's the drill:

1. Mark a 1/2 inch long button hole on one of the large circles (this will be on outside of completed bag) perpendicular to the edge and 1 inch from the edge. Mark a second buttonhole on the opposite side of the circle. Try to be fairly precise in placement and length of buttonholes because they will be connected with sewing lines in a step or two. Sew buttonholes and rip open.


2. Pin the two large circles together, right sides outward.

3. Create a channel for the satin cord. Beginning at a buttonhole stitch from the edge closest to the outer edge of the circle around the entire perimeter of the circles (through both thicknesses) being sure to connect to the second buttonhole. Stitch a second time around the perimeter starting from the inner edge of the button hole.


4. With a rolled hem stitch, serge the edges of the large circles together. I used regular thread in the right needle and the lower looper and sulky thread in the upper looper. Tension was 7 for the lower looper and 4 for the needle and upper looper. I haven't had a class yet on how to use my serger properly, so I'm winging it. It is ALWAYS a good idea to practice on a scrap of the fabric you are using first. This time I disabled the blade and went around the edge twice. I was very happy with the result. NOTE: When serging the edge, place circle on machine with the buttonholed side up so the pretty side of the serged edge will be on the outside of the completed bag.


5. Technically, one side of each of these serged circles is the lining. How you proceed will make a big difference if you chose to use contrasting fabrics for the lining. The lining for the large circle will be the inside wall of the bag. The lining for the small circle will be the inside of the bag's pockets.

6. Pin small circles together, right sides out. Put circle on machine, lining side down, and serge edge as with large circles.

7. Center the fleece on the lining side of the serged small circles. Fuse according to manufacturer's instructions.

8. Center and pin large circles to small circles, lining sides facing.

9. To create the inside pockets, think pie (as in cherry or whatever flavor you prefer - I like pumpkin) and mark 8 sections on small circle with chalk or other fabric marker. Sew along marked lines through both circles. NOTE: Sew only from edge to edge on the small circle.

10. To finish bottom edge of inner pockets, feel for edge of fleece, mark edge and sew along marked line.



11. Finish bag by running two lengths of satin cord through channel created on outside of bag. You will begin and end a cord through each button hole. NOTE: To prevent bag from lying flat when opened, open bag as desired (I think mine opens about 90% of the way) and knot satin cords. When bag is closed the cords will be long enough to use as handles.



I think it is the PERFECT bag for me to carry my tatting in! Funny thing though - when I was showing it to my friend (yes, I have ONE - quality over quantity), she said she used to have a travel jewelry bag like that...Do you hear crickets chirping or are they just in my head? I was afraid of that... So the proper title of this series of posts should be "How to Turn Your Perfect JEWELRY Bag Into Your Perfect TATTING Bag". Mom probably thought I would KNOW what the bag was for and if I ever mentioned it being a sewing bag, she probably played along. She was a very indulgent mom and often gave me too much credit. She has either had her chuckle or is having it now...

Note to self: When your bag wears out and you are making a new one, try making your own bias (use your cool tool) to finish the circle edges - and DON'T BE AFRAID OF COLOR!!!

3 comments:

lej619 said...

wow I have made a couple of these,also! I get raves on it all the time and it is close to 25 years ouch,did not think it was that long ago. lol thanks for the information cause I have been wanting to make another one.
you Tatting is very lovely

IsabelG said...

I have just finished my first bag. Thank you for sharing this great pattern!

Unknown said...

Just made one of these today, thanks for sharing. Like a lot of good ideas, it's simple but very effective.

Rose