Friday, March 26, 2010

Victim Falls Prey to TATTING BUG!


Please welcome to Tatland one of the latest victims to fall prey to THE TATTING BUG!!!  I found Lelia's blog through a comment she left on Gina's blog (I'm missing her while she is taking a blog break) during the One World One Heart celebration on A Whimsical Bohemian's blog (shoof, that's ALLOTA links). 

Lelia began tatting lessons with a REAL, LIVE tatting instructor (I KNOW! I had HEARD that they existed in the wild and not just in captivity on my computer screen, but I have never SEEN one myself) at the end of October last year and has been making GREAT progress!  Yesterday she celebrated quite a milestone in my humble opinion - conquering the twisted picot problem all new tatters encounter in making their first motifs.  I am SO happy for her and excited to say that she found my Twisted Picot Join Tutorial helpful (the husband and kids are tired of hearing about it, so I figured I would bend your ear a bit)!

It hasn't even been a year since I had my own AHA moment regarding the twisted picot join and my tatting confidence went sky high!  You see, I had learned the basics of tatting eight years earlier, but abandoned the art because I couldn't figure out that final join.  It just crushed me to work away at a motif and have it ruined within stitches of the end!

And that brings me to the picture above...  It is the reason I returned to give tatting another try.  I decided I wanted to start sewing little things for Baby Doll.  I didn't sew much for my older kids because I felt a little outnumbered by the three of them so close in age and honestly, at that point I wasn't that into sewing other than for hand quilting or home decorating.  Baby Doll lags behind my previous, youngest child by seven years, so during the day, when the kids are at school, she is basically an only child.  AND when the kids are home, they are very sweet about watching her so I have more time... OK - back to the point!  When I began looking for lace for little sewing projects I was very disappointed in what I found and thought I would like to try making my own.  It's taken some time to get my tatting legs and now I hope to use it more and more in my sewing projects.  The lace above was left over from the first dress I made Baby Doll using my own lace.

So here I am, a year after picking up a shuttle again, enjoying tatting for sewing projects and just for its own sake.  I guess that is why I am so excited for Lelia.  It's wonderful to see the pieces falling into place for someone else!  Please stop by her blog and give her a warm, Tatland welcome!

9 comments:

Gina said...

It's hard to go to manufactured lace once you've made your own! I do still like the eyelet laces though.

The twisted picot join is very hard to visualize so good for you for making the tutorial!!!

And I'm glad you miss me. :-)))

sewmuchfun4 said...

Hi Gina!
That's true. I don't have much desire to go up the lace isle at Joann's anymore.

I'd like to know who DOESN'T miss you!!!

:) Ann

Lelia said...

Many many thx Ann for the tatting encouragement & welcome! I do admit having THE TATTING BUG -- the more I understand, the easier it is to figure out the patterns.

And AT LAST - no twist at the final join. Thx so much for taking the time to post your tutorial -- worked for me : ) never mind the other boo boos in my practice pieces - the final joins are great!

Really? You took a break from tatting for awhile? Your pictures of tatting look awesome. Beautiful lace in this post!

Have a great day : )

sewmuchfun4 said...

Hi Lelia!
Thank you! Yes, I didn't touch a shuttle for about 8 years because I thought any real progress was beyond me since I couldn't figure out that join no matter how hard I tried.

I have learned to tat through wonderful tutorials on the internet and am so happy mine was helpful to you!

:) Ann

Fox said...

I'll wager EVERYONE in Tat-land misses Gina!

You had better get as much lace into Baby Doll's wardrobe now, as fast as you can! There comes an age - very suddenly - where daughters aren't as wild as they used to be about things we make them.... That is my experience and that of my friends who have daughters!

Hoping this doesn't sound negative, just acceptingly realistic!
Fox : )

sewmuchfun4 said...

Hey Fox!
That sounds like a safe bet!

I know firsthand what you are saying about lace or even anything handmade. I am only good for mending for my oldest (except I hate mending so that makes me not much good for anything, huh). My middle daughter likes my tatting and as long as I add bling to anything I make for her, she is still good.

You're not negative, just realistic. I figure that I've got a few good years of sewing ahead for Baby Doll, so I'd better enjoy it while I can. And if I manage to push some lace off on the older two, that's just gravy!

:) Ann

Martha said...

It's a bit of work to make a tutorial, but it must be gratifying to share your experience and help a fellow tatter understand a crucial step.

I liked the Fox comment about sewing things for daughters. Emily was so sweet that she wore homemade dresses long after she really wanted to because she didn't want to hurt my feelings.

sewmuchfun4 said...

Yep Martha, I've got to say it tickles me pink to be able to help someone figure something out (craft-wise that is - not so much with stuff like flooring and plumbing :)).

That is so sweet that Emily was worried about hurting my feelings. I think my kids worry a bit about it, but are able to push it aside and press ahead!

:) Ann

Unknown said...

Hello dear Ann! Thank you so much for your very sweet comment on my blog today! I appreciate that you would come and celebrate my blogoversary with me! Good luck to you in the giveaway drawing!
~TattingChic ♥