Sunday, June 24, 2012

Dad's Socks

It only took thousands of tiny stitches
to make Dad's socks.

He received them in February.
He said they fit and seemed quite pleased with them.
I was very happy.

I thought about him wearing these socks
every time I sat down to knit,
and sometimes stitch by stitch.
I loved making them for him even though
I had rip back my work
on occasion.

That's something I like about knitting -
the good thoughts I have for the person 
I am knitting for.

Too bad the thoughts can't be
sent along as well with the knitting,
but I guess the
thousands of tiny stitches
are proof enough
that they were there.
Pattern: Simplicity
Book: Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks
Author: Melissa Morgan-Oakes

4 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your dad's socks look so warm and toasty! I love the color. I'm sure your dad appreciates every stitch of love.

Fox said...

Hi there, sewmuchfun!
So, you are knitting socks - and they are a fine pair!

Made me remember when I made my dad a pair of cashmere-blend socks and all the thoughts that the stitches held dearly. Socks knitted: a lovely gift for a dad.
Fox ; )

Martha said...

Hey Ann! Your dad's socks turned out so well, and I know he's thinking of you every time he puts them on. I bought some beautiful yarn and a book to make socks for my sister, but I ended up giving both to my niece since she has taken up knitting.

What a wonderful new hobby to add to your repertoire of nifty needle skills.

Janine said...

Ann,
These are beautiful!! Well, if one can call men's socks beautiful. Heck, I'm you're "big sister" so I guess I can them whatever I want, can't I? Anyway, I LOVE them and wish I had a pair! I bet he loves them, too.
I miss him (and all of you) very much. I'm thinking it may be time for Thanksgiving in Fairmont this year. Thoughts? I've got to get the kids there. It would be a lot easier if they weren't strung out all over the US. Plus there's that pesky "work schedule" they seem to live by. Whatever.
Anyway, just wanted to say I'm proud of you and the socks. And I miss and love you.
Very much.
Me :)